FW: Word 97 glitch?

Subject: FW: Word 97 glitch?
From: "McGowan, Ken (AFS)" <KenM -at- ACCU-FAB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:29:59 -0700

----------
From: Joanne Grey [SMTP:j_grey -at- WRITEANGLES -dot- COM]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 1997 4:17 PM
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Subject: Word 97 glitch?

Maybe someone can help me. I'm using Word 97 on NT 4.0 and have come
across a minor but annoying problem. I have "page x of Y" in my
footers,
but every time someone opens the document, it reverts to "1", no
matter
how many pages there are. I then have to update the field.

This is new behavior. :-) Anyone else run into this problem, and is
it
easily correctible? (I do have background pagination on, but not
"allow
fast saves", which can cause problems sometimes.)

This sounds a lot like a problem that was being discussed last week,
one that I've run into also. Word 97 seems to have some serious
trouble with anything that requires autonumbering. E.g., you can't
use chapter numbers as a prefix in figure/table number captions. If
you do, all the figures are number 1 (i.e., 1-1, 1-1, ..., 3-1, 3-1,
4-1, 4-1, 4-1, etc.). However, even updating the fields doesn't help
in this case.

Does anyone know if this problem is fixed with SR-1?

Ken McGowan
KenM -at- Accu-Fab -dot- com