Lay vs. lie

Subject: Lay vs. lie
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 12:52:43 -0500

Beth Kane wondered about <<the rule for remembering which
to use [lay vs. lie] but I can't seem to remember it!>>

To which Buck Buchanan replied <<Here's an easy way to
remember them: Lie is what Bush did about Iran-Contra
Lay is what Clinton did/does.>>

<big grin> Point taken, Buck, but not very helpful. Here's
the less amusing summary. Lay is the past tense of "to lie"
(I lay down for a short nap), the correct present tense for
"to lie" in the imperative ("Damnit! Lie still!"), or the
correct present tense for the mistaken use of "lie" (I lay
the blame for this message squarely on Buck). "Lie" is
always present tense, unless accompanied by "will", at
which point it becomes the future. And for purists: the
only way you can get layed is if a minstrel serenades you
(laid is the past tense). How to put all this together?
<musters all his powerful grammatical resources>

"If pressed, I lie about whether I got laid when I lay down
with Miss X; I don't kiss and tell! Lay the blame squarely
on my upbringing if you will, but you can still expect that
I will lie under these circumstances. Situational ethics?
Perhaps, but I'll let that issue lie. And I'll rely on Matt
'the soundman' to provide an example where these rules have
been layed." <gdr>