Flow Chart of a Tech Writer's role?

Subject: Flow Chart of a Tech Writer's role?
From: Hillary Russak <hrussak -at- SLAC -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 15:24:47 -0700

HELP! (yes, that was a scream)

I'm working as a lone tech writer. Well, to be more specific, I'm dedicated
to a department rather removed from the site as a whole. There are other
writers in the division, but their work seems much more "defined" than mine.

My question: How can I best demonstrate my role to the authors here?
Someone suggested a flow chart showing how an idea becomes an outline,
becomes a document, is written, reviewed, distributed, revised, etc.

This must exist somewhere... has anyone had to show their employer how they
fit, in the scheme of a department?

I'm really starting from zippo here. These folks are even unfamiliar with
the concept of a lead author. They want me to start with nothing - no list
of brainstormed topics - and no authority (or respect) to gather folks
together for a brainstorming session to *create* the list, assign authors,
designate the review-team. ARG!

If I could show 'em a nice picture, perhaps they'll understand. What say
ye, techwhirlers?
-hil

Hillary M. Russak, Technical Writer
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ES&H Division, Waste Management Department
hrussak -at- slac -dot- stanford -dot- edu
Office: (650) 926-3193
Pager: (650) 940-0741