On-line help on UNIX and Windows

Subject: On-line help on UNIX and Windows
From: Winfried Reng Dr <winfried -at- ASSYST-INTL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:38:13 MESZ

Hi Dave,

Our software runs on HP-UX and on Windows 95.
Our documentation is created with FrameMaker.
What I did:
1 Hypertext markers into the sections that should be called
by the software: "Newlink markername". The markername is unique.
In FrameMaker: Marker index with these markers.
This shouldn't be in the printed version. This is only to make
it context sensitive.
2 Conversion into HTML with Webmaker or Quadralay respectively.
(Quadralay is much more powerful. Whether FM 5.5 does the
same I don't know.)
3 Modification of the HTML output with an awk script.
Thus it looks nicer, has certain features like fitting to
the HTML various browsers need, icons/lines before certain sections
etc. "Cleaning up". Removing the link to the marker index from
the table of contents and in the file before this marker index.
4 Then display on UNIX with an HTML browser that we bought.
Much cheaper than lots of Netscape licenses etc.
(www.compgen.com/widgets/HView.html).
This widget had to be configured to our needs (buttons, functions).
The software is set up so that all Help calls are linked to unique
marker names. The marker names are mapped to certain files/
locations by the converted marker index.
Thus a Help call checks the marker name, looks into the marker
index for the file with this marker and starts the Help widget
with the page with this marker.
On Windows we use Netscape. (Internet Explorer cannot be made context
sensitive.)

As far as I remember Bristol HyperHelp didn't support FrameMaker books.
I don't like PDF as it's no real on-line help. Too much like
trying to view a book on-screen. Not very user-friendly.
(I think on the FrameMaker list they mentioned that you could make
it context sensitive. Check www.FrameUsers.com)

Bye,

Winfried

--
Winfried Reng, Documentation

assyst GmbH
Henschelring 15a
85551 Kirchheim bei Muenchen
Germany

Tel.: 00 49 (89) 9 05 05 - 146
Fax: 00 49 (89) 9 05 05 - 102
mailto:Winfried -dot- Reng -at- assyst-intl -dot- com
WWW: http://www.assyst-intl.com