Re: Telephone systems for home workers

Subject: Re: Telephone systems for home workers
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 09:58:33 -0800

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:40:52 -0400, TRIAD Services wrote:

>Your phone company might have something called "Ringmaster," where a second
>phone number is assigned to an existing phone line, and the new number has a
>distinctive ring. You don't say if the voice line is for both home and
>business calls. If so, you might want to assign the new number to your
>business so you'll know which calls to pick up.

I forgot about that one. One line, two numbers, two different rings. BC
Tel calls it "Distinctive Ring". It's important to note that many of the
features discussed here may be available from your local telco under
different names.

>Certain software programs, such as FaxWorks, have "call centers" which can
>determine whether the incoming call is voice or fax and either receive the
>fax or take a voice message.

I've found these features iffy at best. The software does not make the
fax/voice determination; the modem does. The modem has to support the
adaptive-answer feature, and have the voice functions for voicemail use.
It relies on the same method of detecting call type as the line switches,
which is not always perfect. Some software also supports mode switching
via touch-tones, which generally works well but requires caller
interaction.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>