Re: Contracting

Subject: Re: Contracting
From: Chuck Martin <cmartin -at- SEEKERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:15:47 -0700

It is highly unfair to lay blame in such situations solely on the IRS and
unions. Unions, while often getting too greedy for hteir own good in many
situations in recent decades, countered a longstanding practice of
companies taking advantage of and abusing their workers. The IRS is in a
no-win situation--look at the current hearing--because so many people have
schemed to aviod paying part or all of their income taxes over the years. A
significant percentage of these people were people who claimed to be
running their own business, frequently from their own homes, and then
taking exorbitant deductions, outrageous expenses, and evn making false
claims.

However, recruiters and brokers who claim that they are trying to place
just full-time employees aree feeding you a load of BS themselves. A good
broker works for you, the writer, trying to meet your needs.

It is true that IRS rules make independent contracting somewhat difficlut,
but certainly not impossible. Many recruiters in this area have simply
offered the option of making you their employee--an option that I have used
abd found particularly appealing. The advantages of this situation include:

- no self-employment tax
- recruiter takes care of all withholdings
- recruiter often offers rudimentary benefits (mine offers a 401(k))
- you still get contractor rates
- recruiter takes care of billing the client
- you get regular paychecks (from the recruiter, no need to wait for the
client to pay their bills)

In my case, I sacrifices a couple of dollars an hour to take thisoption,
which I thought was well worth avoiding the time and cost needed to manage
all the peperwork of "my own business."

Bottom line though: the IRS would not have had to come up with such
stringent rules for independent contractors of those people themselves did
not work so hard to avoid paying their fair share of taxes. You cannot
blame the IRS for reacting to the dishonesty of so many U.S. citizens.

If a recruiter tells you that you need to be incorporated, etc., to get a
contract, find another recruiter. In this area, clients often place jobs
with more than one recruiter, so it's not too hard to find a recruiter that
can meed your needs and get you the good jobs or contracts.

Just an FYI: I primarily use Andrew Davis here in the Bay Area, who has his
own company, Synergistech Communications. He specializes in only technical
communicators, having been one himself. He's at www.synergistech.com if
anyone wants to check him out.

--
"You don't look American"
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere"