Re: Indexing Tools

Subject: Re: Indexing Tools
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 15:06:44 +0800

Hi Marni -

I like IXgen.

Pros:
- it's terrific for editing index entries for correctness and consistency
- you can quickly generate index entries from selected keywords and
paragraph tags (though I'm wary of this 'feature'; if you want to
produce good indexes and not just fast indexes, automarking is a
powerful servant but an evil master)
- it's not expensive
- FSA's technical support is good

Cons:
- I find the interface a bit clunky and roundabout

You can get a demo licence from FSA and try IXgen out for a month.

Other good resources (some have already been mentioned):

- the ASI Web page
- the INDEX-L listserv
- 'Indexing Books', by Nancy Mulvany
- Lori Lathrop, a techwhirler who often answers indexing questions
here. She also runs training courses which I hear are very good.

Professional indexers appear to use either CINDEX or MACREX. These are
much more poweful and flexible than any indexing module you'll find in
a WP or DTP package. From memory the Mulvany book discusses the
advantages of dedicated indexing software over bundled add-ons. Both
these packages create standalone indexes (i.e. in a separate text
file) so they don't create index tags in a Frame document.

Good luck. Write if you have more questions.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield
Functional Software Pty Ltd