How to assign projects

Subject: How to assign projects
From: "Wyrwas, Kathleen A" <Kathleen -dot- Wyrwas -at- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:07:50 -0400

I'm eating lunch, listening to a loud conversation over the cubicle
wall, and getting steamed over what I'm hearing. I'd like to ask all of
you: How do projects get assigned in your departments?

Here's the rant --I mean rationale-- behind my question:

In a previous job, our manager was the point of contact for upcoming
assignments. She told us about these projects at staff meetings, and we
could volunteer for those we wanted. And if one of us got an
advertisement for a class or seminar, we would gladly share it with the
team. "Team" is the key word here. We all helped and recommended each
other for various things.

However, in THIS job, secrecy seems to be the name of the game. Select
projects and classes are offered to select individuals. For example, I
was called into the manager's office recently, and he told me about a
class on a certain technology. He really wanted to go, but could not.
Another writer working on a project that incorporates this technology
would be the ideal candidate, but could not go. So the manager asked
me. The project that needs this technology is cool, but a sore spot for
the rest of us - another story. I didn't accept, but suggested he
present this to the rest of the group at the next staff meeting. He
declined, saying the other writers are more inclined to just do as they
are told, and don't have the capability or desire for something so
technical. Of course I told the others via e-mail and they were
properly offended. (Mind you, these are people who have been in the
department, working with engineering, for 10-20 years.)

Another "for example". At this week's staff meeting, our manager listed
the upcoming projects for 4th quarter and beyond, and we actually did
get to volunteer. (This is rare. Usually we're appointed in private.)
But in the over-the-wall conversation I'm listening to, a particular
writer is just now being offered SIX OTHER projects we never heard
about. And he is being offered a chance to go overseas to work with
our engineers on product design. No, he is not a subject matter expert
- officially we are all encouraged to work with engineering this way.
But this writer seems to be the favorite lately.

This situation also is starting to smack of discrimination: the manager
and the writer getting the exclusive project offers are male, the other
4 of us are women.

This hush-hush thing just isn't right, in my book. There's lots more to
the story, but I can't say it (politely) in this forum.

Which led me to wonder, how do other tech. writing departments dole out
assignments?

Regards,
Kathy
kathleen -dot- wyrwas -at- unisys -dot- com
Unisys Corporation - Plymouth MI