CKO -- new job title

Subject: CKO -- new job title
From: Yvonne DeGraw <yvonne -at- SILCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:12:43 -0700

I saw this in Edupage (http://educom.edu/web/pubs/pubHomeFrame.html).

Is this the new job title we should be aiming for? Sounds like it comes with
a pretty high salary...

>CHIEF KNOWLEDGE OFFICER IS LATEST TECH ALLY
>The newest job title sprouting up in information technology circles is chief
>knowledge officer. The job description generally focuses on bringing
>together and leveraging pockets of business and technical knowledge to
>advance the company's competitive position, and involves not only locating,
>but also organizing, manipulating, filtering and presenting information so
>that employees on the front lines can comprehend and use it. Hal Varian,
>dean of the University of California at Berkeley's School of Information
>Management and Systems, says, "There are a lot of information resources a
>company has that need to be structured to be useful." Providing that
>structure and working with the technical side of the corporation to make the
>information resources available and useful to employees will be an
>increasingly key activity at most businesses in coming years. (Information
>Week 29 Sep 97)
Yvonne DeGraw, Technical Services o Technical Writing
yvonne -at- silcom -dot- com o Online Help
http://www.silcom.com/~yvonne o Web Documentation
Tel: 805/683-5784 o Database Publishing
Chair, STC Region 8 Conference: http://stc.org/region8/snb/reg8conf