Doc Standards, A thank you

Subject: Doc Standards, A thank you
From: Kathleen Frost <kfrost -at- BTSQUARED -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:30:31 -0400

Three cheers for the technical writing community!!!!!!!

I was really pleased to see the response, both to my request for topics in
a Documentation Standards Guide and the overwhelming number of requests,
from all over the world, for a copy of the summary. So many people said
they were in the process of creating such a document for their group or
wanted to compare this summary of topics against their current document.

It's wonderful to see how many companies realize the benefit of standards
in documentation. I congratulate all of you for working to improve
documentation in your company and the image of technical writing as a
whole. For far too long, when a writer joined a new firm and asked if
there was a standards document to follow, they were laughed at for thinking
such a thing could exist. In many companies, documents were an after
thought, something any typist could throw together at the last minute
before the product went out the door. It's really gratifying to see the
changes in attitude and respect, and know that our image as productive
members of the development process has improved so much. More and more
development teams are including writers and QA people at the earliest
stages of the process, and at each review stage, just to ensure the
finished documents are accurate and of the best possible quality.

Keep up the good work!

Kathy Frost
KFrost -at- BTSquared -dot- com