Trademarks & explicit copyright claim

Subject: Trademarks & explicit copyright claim
From: Bakker <bakker -at- BCS -dot- ORG -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 13:25:00 -0500

Mark wrote . .

I think the TM circle says simply "this is a trademark" without saying it's
registered; and whether or not it's applied for, or ever will be applied
for, isn't implied.

- I agree.

Also, I'm not sure that much cruciality remains to the word Copyright or
the circle-C, now that the USA has fallen into line with most of the rest
of the world regarding copyright by default. They are nice to have,
though, especially with an explicit date and copyright-owner's name.

- True, in one sense - copyright is copyright, whether claimed or not. But
in the UK at any rate, it may be very difficult to recover damages for
breach of copyright without an explicit claim. So (usually) best to include
the claim.

Paul Bakker

Peterborough Technical Communication
8 Whitewater
Orton Wistow
PETERBOROUGH
PE2 6FB
England

e-mail bakker -at- bcs -dot- org -dot- uk (personal)
web site http://www.gold.net/petecom/
tel 01733 237037
fax 01733 239933