FW: Numbered lists in Word 97

Subject: FW: Numbered lists in Word 97
From: "McDonald, Nancy (The Registry)" <McDonalN -at- LCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 14:50:00 -0400

From: McDonald, Nancy (The Registry)
To: Cramer, Kim
Subject: Re: Numbered lists in Word 97
Date: Monday, October 06, 1997 2:42PM

I've had my share of numbering problems.... my workaround has been this
pattern. Don't know the "real" fix, but this works for me.
When I've worked on a big doc in Word, every time I have to set up a
numbered list, I get that humongous number 369 or something for the
first line, or else every paragraph has a number; I immediately hit my
trusty control-z (*undo)--just once. It (the number I just created)
then seems to go back to where it's SUPPOsed to ...
sometimes if I don't notice, I'll find the whole doc turning bold, or
something whaco like that.... now we have to be on guard for most every
tiny detail or the whole Word doc is spewy!!!
go figure.

From: Cramer, Kim
Date: Monday, October 06, 1997 2:22PM

From: Harrison Brace
> The problem with this option is that it does not seem to "stick." Even
> I select the "restart numbering" option and produce a properly numbered
> list, the next time I open the file I often find that numbering has
> sequential throughout the whole document.
> Today a new problem cropped up: all my numbered lists items suddenly
> reverted to 1. Sheesh.

I had a similar problem with numbering chapters. When I opened a file,
all of them said Chapter 1. Turned out that I had a template attached
to my document and had selected the Automatically Update Document Styles
checkbox. As a result, when I opened the document, it reverted to the
base styles. Once I deselected the checkbox, I was able to set the
chapter number and make it stick. This may be your problem as well.

Kim Cramer
mailto:kcramer -at- ncslink -dot- com
Sr. Information Developer
NCS Education, Mesa AZ