Re: Errata coverage

Subject: Re: Errata coverage
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:27:35 -0700

I have to go with the majority in this case. Based on the example you
gave, I know the kinds of "errors" you are talking about. They are not
technically errors, just poor attention to detail combined with the
programmers not having time or not thinking them important enough to fix
before the product is released. I see this, as well, in our product
(which is an internal product, not a retail product). This may also be a
sign of an inadequate testing process.

Highlighting this sort of thing in the manual serves only to point out
the shortfalls in the development/testing process. It would be like
giving yourselves a bad review. I would put these things in the release
notes where the purpose is more "yes, we know this problem exists and we
intend to fix it."

This is my opinion and comes from being on both sides of this situation
(developer and documenter).

Bev Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil
The Friendly Faces of TECHWR-L -
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/