Re: Dialog Boxes

Subject: Re: Dialog Boxes
From: Mark Wilden <Mark -at- MWILDEN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 11:55:06 -0700

> From: Julie <nobozos -at- SOUND -dot- NET>
>
> Make them change it, or do what I did, and learn how to change it
yourself.
> Most programmers that I've worked with were willing to show me how to
deal
> with source code control and how to read code if I would change stuff
like
> that for them.

In this case, it would be a little trickier than just editing source code,
as stuff like dialog text is usually not in the source code itself, but in
the resource file. You use a resource editor rather than a text editor to
change it. This is actually easier than hunting through the source code,
but it's an additional tool that must be learned.

Which is not to say that I don't think it would be productive for writers
to learn and to be given the opportunity to do this. Most programmers
shouldn't be allowed anywhere near human-readable text (and I say this as a
programmer).

Mark -at- mWilden -dot- com