Translating indexes

Subject: Translating indexes
From: Jennifer O'Neill <writer -at- ARITECH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 12:46:51 +0000

Hi there,

I'm currently checking a manual that's been translated from English
into Italian and notice that the index entries have become very long
at times. As I don't know italian, I don't know whether Italian
indexes have long entries or if the translator did a literal
translation. I also had this with a Portuguese manual earlier on. I
haven't yet got feedback from our sales offices about the
translations.

Are there any guidelines I should give translators when translating
index entries?

Jennifer