Re: Web counter: surprisingly useful

Subject: Re: Web counter: surprisingly useful
From: "S. William Schulz" <swschulz -at- ASTRUM -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 12:09:26 -0400

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, John Cornellier wrote:

> One thing that slows down the design and testing of HTML is that you don't know
> what browsers and resolutions your viewers are using. I've never been able to
> get a definitive answer on resolution, so I optimised for 800x600. Anyone got
> any stats on web users' screen resolutions?

If you are using a counter script that you have written, you can track the
screen resolution of visitors using MS IE 3.x or later by including the
environemtal variable HTTP_UA_PIXELS, $ENV{'HTTP_UA_PIXELS'} in Perl.

Also available are:

HTTP_UA_COLOR => Color Depth
HTTP_UA_CPU => Processor Family
HTTP_UA_OS => Windows95, etc...

These vars are not yet supported by NS Navigator.

S. William Schulz
Webmater, astrum.com