Screen Captures in UNIX

Subject: Screen Captures in UNIX
From: Sarah Lathrop <sarah -dot- lathrop -at- US -dot- LANDISGYR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 10:54:00 -0600

I am working on a reference manual for our UNIX based software system.
The system consists of about 200 displays and numerous popup menus.
The displays were recently redone by a graphic designer in the colors
of the 90's. They are beautiful to look at, but the screen-capturing
process has become a nightmare.

I experimented with xv to capture the screens. Rather than getting
smooth shades of gray, I am getting ugly dithered patterns for many of
the colors. It is a big problem in areas where the colors are used in
large blocks or bands across the entire display.

I got good results on one display by taking it into PhotoShop and
cleaning it up. I also got some displays looking fairly good using xv
and manually adjusting each color. However, both methods involved a
lot of time, and I could not find a method that I could apply in every
instance with consistent results.

The manual is in FrameMaker for Windows. The manual pages will be
photocopied from the originals that we print on our 600 dpi printer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to speed up
this process? Is there another screen-capture program for UNIX that
might work better for this than xv?

Thanks,

Sarah