ADMIN: Porn ads and assorted spam--info

Subject: ADMIN: Porn ads and assorted spam--info
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 13:50:44 -0600

This spam business is a bigger problem with list members
than I thought. Here's some general information and answers to
a few questions. Don't reply to this online--it's still
off-topic, but I think this info might be useful.

Most email software lets you filter messages --
RTFM for the specifics. Read Matt Ion's message
and the links at the bottom for more.

subscription process and the verification of membership
before you post. I'm sure that some spammers have
culled addresses from the list, but as a rule there are
many easier ways to get addresses than the
subscribe, review, signoff process that would be
required to get this list. Some spammers pull
addresses from usenet postings (like the usenet
echo of this list), but I've personally not had much
of a problem with spam.

I've NEVER heard of a company that would
cause problems for employees because of
_getting_ spam. Spam is a big enough problem
on the 'Net right now that no mail administrator
with a brain would hold anyone responsible for the
mail they get.

Here's a good starting place from a Ziff Davis news service.
It includes both background information and step by step
instructions.
http://www5.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_index_19970819.html

More background info from John Levine, co-author of Internet for
Dummies, among other books:
http://spam.abuse.net/

Again, do not reply to this message on the list.
Help this helps,
Eric