Re: Word 7/ Word 8 compatibility problems, again

Subject: Re: Word 7/ Word 8 compatibility problems, again
From: Christopher Carmichael <chrisc -at- SYNERGYMICRO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:28:58 -0700

I'm new to the list [today!] so if I stomp on MicroSquash's toes, please
pummell me with . . . . Windows 98.

>Our documents were originally done in Word 6 and we recently converted them
>to Word 7. They've been working fine in Word 7.

There was wasn't a change in the Word 6 or Word 7 files. They were made to

>One of our clients, who's in - I'll call it Word 8, I get hopelessly
>confused if I start saying "Word 97" - can't even open the documents.
>Does this problem ring a bell?

ding ding DING DING! Word 8 is not downward compatible. However those
fine folks in Redmond have made a converter from Word 8 to Word 7/6. Word
8 is the DOS line name for MS Word 97. and jump to
FREEDOWN loads. Don't pass go, do not collect $200.

>my apologies to all if I missed something

It was more fun when Word 97 came out and the solution for downward
compatibility was 'plain' .rtf files. Another story, another thread. It
wasn't obvious. Resistance is futile.

| Chris Carmichael Going the speed of light is bad for your age. |
| Synergy Microsystems Computer modelers simulate it first. |
| San Diego Wal*Mart Law: if it is good, |
| we'll will stop stocking it. |

Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at