Re: Word 7/ Word 8 compatibility problems, again

Subject: Re: Word 7/ Word 8 compatibility problems, again
From: Christopher Carmichael <chrisc -at- SYNERGYMICRO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:28:58 -0700

I'm new to the list [today!] so if I stomp on MicroSquash's toes, please
pummell me with . . . . Windows 98.

>Our documents were originally done in Word 6 and we recently converted them
>to Word 7. They've been working fine in Word 7.

There was wasn't a change in the Word 6 or Word 7 files. They were made to
interchange.

>One of our clients, who's in - I'll call it Word 8, I get hopelessly
>confused if I start saying "Word 97" - can't even open the documents.
>
>Does this problem ring a bell?

ding ding DING DING! Word 8 is not downward compatible. However those
fine folks in Redmond have made a converter from Word 8 to Word 7/6. Word
8 is the DOS line name for MS Word 97. http://www.microsoft.com and jump to
FREEDOWN loads. Don't pass go, do not collect $200.

>my apologies to all if I missed something
>obvious.

It was more fun when Word 97 came out and the solution for downward
compatibility was 'plain' .rtf files. Another story, another thread. It
wasn't obvious. Resistance is futile.