System Recommendations

Subject: System Recommendations
From: Annalee Foster <scripta -at- GJ -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 16:44:55 -0600

Hey all,

I'm just getting ready to price a new computer and I thought I'd ask my
colleagues for recommendations on things like video cards, memory
requirements, etc.

Here is some background:

I currently maintain and create manuals in MS-Word (ick...) and I'm
planning to move them to Frame within the next year. Additionally, I'm
planning to develop them into online docs and do future projects as
online docs.

The current paper documents are 200+ pages with screen captures, CAD
drawings, line art and photographs (memory hogs). Photographs will be
captured with a digital camera and manipulated with Photoshop and/or
Corel.

At the moment I am looking at an Intel 233 Mhz Pentium II w/120 MB EDO
DRAM, an internal 512K L2 secondary write-back cache; STB ViRGE 4MB 3D
64 bit graphics card. Of course, CD ROM, modem, zip drive and the usual
hardware.

Any other technology I should be looking at in terms of graphics, speed
or...? Something special required for online documentation (sans
software, naturally)

Just curious what I might be missing from your various perspectives.
Dream BIG!

Thanks!

Annalee