Re: We're getting Frame! (and PDF fonts)

Subject: Re: We're getting Frame! (and PDF fonts)
From: Dave Chisma & Gail Hodgson <chisma -at- C031 -dot- AONE -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 21:00:51 +1000

Harrison Brace wrote:

> Thanks to all who furnished us with ammunition for out bid to switch to
> Frame. We had the meeting on Friday and finally got approval! We should be
> switching to Frame any day now (from this list, I have the impression that
> switching to Frame is better than Prozac!)
>
> One question remains. Management was concerned that they would not be able
> to cut and paste info from a Frame document into a Word document (as they
> would not have a copy of Frame). I assume this is possible using Frame
> Reader? Or is it usually just better to save the document from Frame in
> Word format?
>
> Again, thanks. Our two copies for FrameMaker 5.5 should be arriving any day
> now.

Dave Chisma wrote:

You're lucky. I'm still waiting for my upgrade here in Australia.

We have a similar situation where only two of us have Frame and the rest
of the staff uses Word. A simple way is to distribute documents via PDF
files. Other users can cut and paste from PDF to Word. Assuming the
fonts are suitable, that is. Type 1 fonts are generally much better to
use than true type fonts for making PDF files.

Sue Ellen Adkins wrote:

"The following is a quote from page 24 of the Adobe Acrobat 3.0 Getting
Started guide:
"...because when such files [PDF] are created in Windows with
TrueType
fonts the text in them is unsearchable and unselectable." (This is
given
as a reason why one should use Type 1 fonts and Adobe Type Manager.)"

I find that some TrueType fonts work perfectly fine, while others work
from PDF Writer and not from Distiller. If you can go with Type 1 fonts,
do it.

Cheers, Dave Chisma
chisma -at- c031 -dot- aone -dot- net -dot- au