Re: chapter numbering

Subject: Re: chapter numbering
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:19:19 -0500

Well, documentation follows software, and the trend in software is to
avoid exposing the user to numbers as much as possible. A visible number
is like a visible seam or nail, perhaps unavoidable, possibly a design
feature in a special case if done right, but mostly to be avoided.
Consider the web: as long as files were located via long, complicated
numbers, nobody paid attention. A few Domain Name Servers pop up to
translate the numbers into text, and boom!

Chapters should be identified by a brief poetic phrase, possibly a
haiku, or, in an extreme case, a limerick.

Dang. My corporate style guide requires me to use numbers. Oh, well.

Chapter 1 - Installing {insert software title here}

We tend not to do introductions anymore, since we downsized the
documentation. In days of old, we numbered the introduction "1".

Mike Huber
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com

Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at