Re: ADMIN: Posting Rules Reminder

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Posting Rules Reminder
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <mikeuhl -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 08:52:11 -0400

Esteemed TECHWR-L colleagues:

I agree with John Posada's comments (provided below), but I would like to add
something. There are other listservers that focus on language issues, such as
the copyediting listserver. It's a gray boundary where detailed discussion of
usage, spelling, etc. leaves the TECHWR-L domain and enters the copy editing
domain. That's why it's great to have Eric around to maintain some control
over this chaos. ;-)

Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:mikeuhl -at- mindspring -dot- com)
President, Carolina Chapter, STC (1997-1998)
Ph. 919.541.4283 (W); Fax: 919.541.0056

John Posada wrote:

> What we have here is the difference in the following analogy: All
> scotch is whiskey, but not all whiskey is Scotch.
> There are many areas of language that are more strongly related to other
> areas than with technical communication. The old Ebonics discussion is
> a case in point. While is had to do with communication, it was more
> strongly related to areas of culture, socio-econamics, etc. it was
> detirmined that it was not an appropriate discussion for technical
> communication.
> To get back to your question, I don't believe that just because it has
> to do with communication, that it automaticaly applies to technical
> communication.

Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at