Re: PDF and Online Doc Query

Subject: Re: PDF and Online Doc Query
From: Winfried Reng Dr <winfried -at- ASSYST-INTL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 13:29:58 MESZ

Hi Susan,

> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:57:40 -0700
> From: Susan Schionning <Susan -dot- Schionning -at- X500-GW -dot- EDWARDS -dot- AF -dot- MIL>
> Subject: PDF and Online Doc Query
>
> Hi all:
>
> We are looking for ways to present project documentation on an intranet. I've been looking at .pdf files using the Adobe reader within a Netscape browser. I like the presentation, that is, the WYSIWYG format and the clickable contents frame on the side. However, the text in the documents is difficult to read because here and there the lines are corrupted. Have other people using .pdf in a browser run into the same problem?
>
> >From the amount of mail traffic regarding PDF I've seen on this list, I'm assuming that some of you out there have a lot of experience with it. Are there other ways to implement it?
>
> What other ways are there to present significant amounts of information on an intranet website besides HTML and PDF?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Susan Schionning
> Symvionics, Inc.
> sschionning -at- symvionics -dot- com

Some other formats that I know of. I don't use them and
I don't know how complicated the conversion process is:
- Digital paper/Common ground from Hummingbird (www.hummingbird.com/cg/).
They offer a free mini viewer.
This format is used e.g. on HP (or SUN?) CDs.
- SGML
There are some free SGML browser out there, e.g. Panorama.
I think it's not available on all platforms.
- HyperHelp format from Bristol Technologies.
They offer a free browser together with it.
www.bristol.com

Regards,

Winfried
--
Winfried Reng, Documentation

assyst GmbH
Henschelring 15a
85551 Kirchheim bei Muenchen
Germany

Tel.: +49 (89) 9 05 05 - 146
Fax: +49 (89) 9 05 05 - 102
mailto:Winfried -dot- Reng -at- assyst-intl -dot- com
WWW: http://www.assyst-intl.com