Re: When to conduct useability testing on Procedures

Subject: Re: When to conduct useability testing on Procedures
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- CORP -dot- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:02:25 -0700

When do you-all do useability on hands-on procedural documents?
<<<<<<<<<

I test the procedures as late as possible, after the reviews. This is
mostly because procedures sometimes change, for example, for a hardware
installation procedure, the engineers might decide to use three screws
instead of four. For software, they might change an option name at the
last minute. Also, the usability test often reveals things that are more
tip-like, for example, "be careful you don't skin your knuckles." Your
technical reviewers might not be interested in all of the small details
and nuances that usability studies can reveal.

- Scott Miller
Portal Information Network
smiller -at- portal -dot- com

Say hi to Joe Sodja for me. (SLAC engineer and former landlord.)