QUERY: Predict successful writers?

Subject: QUERY: Predict successful writers?
From: "Wittel, Teresa J." <WITTTJ -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:11:00 -0700

Hey - I've got a question that demands opinions from the experts!

What kind of training will best predict a writer's future successful
performance? Only rule is you can't have more than one option.

A. Extensive background knowledge of the technical subject, e.g., jet
engine mechanics

B. Extensive educational background, e.g., B.S. and above in technical
writing or related subject e.g., engineering

C. Extensive experience as a technical writer on said technical subject

D. Number of years as a technical writer in any subject

E. Samples of previous work on said technical subject and/or writing
tests.

F. Other

I don't want to deteriorate into a discussion (flamewar) of
certification, etc. I'm basically interested from an interviewer's
perspective. Case studies would be nice, if available, but I'm also
interested in people's opinions.

If interest is showed, I'll post comments to the list.

Teresa Wittel
mailto:WITTTJ -at- ncslink -dot- com
Sr. Information Developer
NCS Education, Mesa AZ