Re: QUESTION: *writing* style guides for the web

Subject: Re: QUESTION: *writing* style guides for the web
From: "Pritchard,Laurie N" <Laurie_Pritchard -at- MC -dot- XEROX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 12:03:17 PDT

I've also been on the lookout for writing-specific guidelines for the
web. Until more information becomes available, I've found William
Horton's book Designing and Writing Online Documentation to be helpful
for addressing the issues around writing for the screen as opposed to
writing for print. Another book that's helped me is Standards for
Online Communication by JoAnn Hackos and Dawn Stevens.

Laurie Pritchard
Laurie_Pritchard -at- mc -dot- xerox -dot- com

-----------------------------------

Mary's original message:

Hi,
Those of you who read me know I'm big on citing Style Guides as my
authority when discussing the way I approach a documentation project
with a client.
Tomorrow I'm meeting with a client who's *actually budgeted for a tech
writer* to work on the web sites his company designs, mostly for
manufacturers. Using the Archives, I checked out some web sites
purporting to be style guides, and they are, but for design, software,
"style sheets,"--not *writing*.
Anybody know of any style guides, paper or on-line, that address, with
some authority, *writing* for the Web? I'm looking for something that,
for example:
* advocates bullets and lists
* um...well, if I knew, I wouldn't be asking!
He presumably has designers. I want to demonstrate value-added
*writer*, since he's clued in. TIA,
Mary
Will tab and post