Re: on-line documentation

Subject: Re: on-line documentation
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 20:54:59 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Carr <sorcha -at- BBS -dot- MACNEXUS -dot- ORG>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU <TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Sunday, October 26, 1997 7:12 AM
Subject: on-line documentation

>Could someone give a working definition of on-line documentation? Does
>it just refer to documents available through a browser on a net of some
>sort?

Here's my definition: Online documentation is documentation that exists in
soft format readable using a software application.

Online documentation has been around for quite awhile. Back in the middle
80s I wrote what we called "machine-readable information" (or "MRI) for IBM.
MRI was essentially online help for AS/400 applications and the OS. Shortly
after I created a large online help system for another IBM application using
OS/2's IPF. Then came WinHelp and tools like Doc-To-Help, RoboHelp, and the
HDK. Now we have the Internet, intranets, extranets, and browsers.

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com