You wanna be a *what*?

Subject: You wanna be a *what*?
From: DURL <durl -at- BUFFNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:42:16 -0500

Dear Tracy,
Boy, were you lucky. I was actually in a course titled *Technical
Writing* but what it really was, was a way for us English majors to take
an additional advanced comp course.
I asked the instructor one time if he thought I could make a
living at writing. He told me No--that altho I was a good writer, there
was no money to be made. But by "write," he meant War and Peace--I doubt
he even knew that there really was a technical writing profession. Or
maybe he thought girls couldn't do it--early 1970s.
Thanks to his ignorance (and my own, but then I wasn't a
professor of technical writing), it was almost 15 years before I knew it
was a profession.

Mary Durlak Erie Documentation Inc.
East Aurora, New York (near Buffalo)
durl -at- buffnet -dot- net