Re: documenting apps with interface components that snap

Subject: Re: documenting apps with interface components that snap
From: Carol Van Natta <CVANNATT -at- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 13:13:47 -0600

into browser s -Reply

Alexia P. wrote:<snip>1. Anybody out there documenting
apps with interface components that snap into browsers?
How are you handling docs/help?<>

We have a huge, complex UNIX database that has some
components (applications) that, on execution from the ugly
character-based menu, call a browser (Netscape or Lynx,
depending on whether it's a smart or dumb terminal), and
return to the database when closed. We're bound to a
"minimalist" style and content for our documentation, so we
do as few screenshots as we can get away with and treat the
browser-based part as just another software component. For
help, we write special HTML help files accessed by buttons
placed on the HTML-based app. screens.

I'll be happy to tell you more on/offline if you have specific
questions.

Regards,
Carol Van Natta
Senior Technical Writer