Re: QUESTION: Moving from WinHelp to HTML Help

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Moving from WinHelp to HTML Help
From: Kathryn Marshall <kmarshall -at- MODACAD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 17:18:45 -0800

I'm using it to create online help for a browser-based product. I guess
I could use WinHelp, but HTML Help seems more logical (and is supposedly
the new "thing"). I'm using Blue Sky's RoboHTML product, which I just
installed and started playing with today. Looks like you ship the
compiled (html)help file (".chm") and a few files that go in the users'
Windows and Windows\System folders. According to the manual, the help
author or application developer determines where the chm file should go
(I haven't a clue -- maybe in the same folder as the browser application
-- the developer then needs to set up the browser to look in that
location for the help file). We're distributing our own browser, which
is based on Internet Explorer --- yeah, just checked and RoboHTML only
works with Internet Explorer 3.02 or later (whew).

I would imagine that you don't ship the individual help files (html)
pages -- just the compiled ".chm" file -- the way you would send a .hlp
file to a user not the actual source documents. Again, I can't say for
sure because I just opened the box today.

I'm interested in hearing more on this subject.

-Kathryn