Re: hourly vs. project

Subject: Re: hourly vs. project
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 14:58:34 GMT

I just learned a tip for hourly jobs that might help you.

If your client insists on flat rate, build a page count into the
quote. Make it clear that the quote is based on this page count. Add a
clause to the effect of "if the page count exceeds this number by 10
pages, it's time to renegotiate the quote."

YMMV. I base my flat rates on estimated page count. I have a pretty
good sense of my per-page time needed, so it's typically increases in
project scope or changes in formatting that cause me to lose money.
(For example, on a recent job, the client originally said, "Not too
many screengrabs -- the last manual used too many." Guess who now
wants lots of screen grabs? Guess who learned to put page counts in
the manuals after this quote?)

Your client sounds like they have a lot of unknowns --- if you can get
hourly, go for it. If your contact isn't a technical writer, don't
count on the client having any real idea of how long it will take to
revise. Make your own estimate and tell him up front, even if you go
hourly. If you're more later on, he'll think you're milking the job.

Good luck,

Barb

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 10:44:31 PST, you wrote:

>I just finished reading "How to Make Money TW", and I'm ready to put it
>to use. I have an opportunity to bid on an entire project, but I'm not
>quite sure how to do it--or if I should. Its for revising sw
>documentation. The project manager gave me an idea of how many hours he
>thinks it (revision) will take, but the sw still has some functionality
>that has yet to be developed--and I have no idea when they will finish
>it or if it will be before my deadline. Should I just go with the
>hourly or risk bidding a project.
>
>I need to make a decision fast. Any opinions? Thanx.

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing