Re: Any Hardware Writers Out There?

Subject: Re: Any Hardware Writers Out There?
From: Chris Knight <knight -at- ADA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:40:24 -0800

I'm a contractor and have done hardware and software docs. I used
to be an electronics technologist, so I started in hardware writing.
My experience has been in instrumentation, telecom, wireless, data
acquisition and control, and audio.

The last few years I've done more software than hardware. Actually,
I haven't seen a piece of hardware in years that doesn't have some
software in it.

However, I have to say that there is something very satisfying in going
into the test lab, strapping on the static protection (for you software
types: that's to protect the equipment from me, not the other way
araound), and checking all the connectors' labels. This stuff is hard!
It stays put, so you'd better get it right.

Software designers are always playing with things--they're so
pliable, plastic, soft!

BTW, that's why, all else being equal, I always estimate 50 to 100
percent more time for a software project than a hardware one.

--
Chris Knight
Consultant, Technical Communication Architect