Printing PDF graphics

Subject: Printing PDF graphics
From: Miark <miark -at- MIJENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 17:16:39 -0600

I'm about to smash up my keyboard with my forehead. %^P

I've been trying to use the PDFWriter driver to print to PDF. I wasn't using
the Distiller or it's assistant because I didn't know what the difference
is. In the online doc a link read, If you want to know the difference, click
here. I clicked but it didn't take me there. I figured that there must not
be such a page after all, but just two minutes ago I discovered that it does
exist--you just have to get there by an alternate route. Having now read it,
I know that I should be using the Distiller.

Fine and dandy, except I've already spent a while playing with it. Same
results. When I turned off compression altogether, it printed well. No dice
otherwise, even after trying this morning's suggestions. I still can't get
graphics (which look great on the screen even at max. magnification) to
print smoothly. The graphics are 4-bit grayscale, or at least most of them
are. In FM5, they're 150 dpi. In Distiller, I have resample set to 300.
Automatic compression is set to ZIP/JPEG Low. Compatibility is set at 3.0.
So as far as I can figure, there should be no loss on compression.

I have a level 2 PS printer that's good to 1200 dpi, so I know it's not a
printer problem. I got all the Acrobat stuff with Frame 5.5, so I know it's
the latest version. It must be a settings problem.

I really don't want to have to buy a new keyboard--help!

Mike