Translations

Subject: Translations
From: Tom Lange <Tom_Lange -at- DELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 18:39:00 CST

I have been tasked with investigating ways to reduce translation costs
for our localization efforts. We translate from US English to many
languages.

One of the areas I must investigate is a way to reduce or limit the
words we use in our documentation set. I know that some years ago
several companies used a limited set of words for their documentation
efforts. Examples of these word sets were basic English, fundamental
English, and structured English.

I understand some companies use word lists and edit out many words
that cause problems during the translation process.

Questions:

What do you do to reduce or control your translation costs?

Do any of your companies still use a limited word set for controlling
translation costs. If so, how do you implement and control the word
set and how large is the word set?. How did you obtain or develop it?

If you have lists of words that are not allowed, how long is the list?
(and is it available? :-} )

What other methods do you use to control translation costs?

If you prefer, you can reply directly to tom_lange -at- us -dot- dell -dot- com -dot-

Thanks for any and all help.

Tom Lange
Manager, Technical Editing
Information Development