Re: How to do Online Help Book

Subject: Re: How to do Online Help Book
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 13:29:04 -0600

I'm a little confused. If you can't afford to buy RoboHelp, why buy a
book about it? And WinHelp (which is not an authoring tool) is FREE. It
is an "engine" that just runs the help files that you build. You would
be much better off learning to make simple help files by using a text
editor first, then going to a full-fledged HAT later.

Some books that might help you are:

"Designing Windows 95 Help" by Mary Deaton and Cheryl Zbak, Que Books,
ISBN #0-7897-0362-9

"Developing Online Help for Windows 95" by Boggan, Farkas, and Welinske,
International Thompson Computer Press, ISBN #185032211-2

"Microsoft Windows 95 Help Authoring Kit" by Microsoft Press, ISBN
#1-55615-892-0

Those should get you started. At least two of them, and maybe all, have
the Microsoft Help Workshop utility on a disk.

Good luck,

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX
(972) 997-8355