Re: Techwriter Aptitude Test (A Daydream)

Subject: Re: Techwriter Aptitude Test (A Daydream)
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 14:08:28 -0600

Same here. A while back I thought I should do a bit of self-improvement,
end the hypocrisy, and develop the RTFM habit. Then I realized that
would tend to weaken my prized ability to see things from the point of
view of the customer.

So I still don't. With amusing results, sometimes. There is a story
somewhere in my personal web site http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2111
about one of those results.

Anyway, the candidate I would go with is the one that could tell me how
to set the clock, or better yet, the one who hands me a sheet of notes
that tell me how to set the clock.

And I mean set the clock, not all those other functions. The guy who
just tells me how to set the clock has focused on what's important.

There might be another candidate who wins out, although this one is too
rare to hold up the hiring process to wait for: the one who invents a
plausible and easily understood theory of operation for the clock that
makes the various controls seem to make sense. By "plausible" I mean
that it's almost certainly not the _real_ theory of operation, which
probably took an advanced degree in digital clock design to understand
before Marketing forced changes that made it completely
incomprehensible.