Indexer contract rates?

Subject: Indexer contract rates?
From: The Tech Writer <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:02:02 -0800

My company's management has decided that we're going to move all of our
documentation online. Sound familiar? Well, at least they didn't decide
it to save money on paper...they want us to focus more time on a single
deliverable and have it be really good, rather than focusing some time on
paper, some time on WinHelp, some on Web-based, and have all of it be
mediocre.

Anyway, as part of my counterproposal, I wanted to suggest that we move
*most* of it online, leaving the major conceptual topics in paper format.
I also want to suggest that we hire a professional indexer, since a good
index is so vital in online documentation (kinda hard to flip through
online like you can a book!). Does anyone know of any resources that can
give me the indexer's rate in my area (North San Francisco Bay Area)?
I'd like to provide as much hard data as possible.

Thanks in advance.

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com