License/Tax

Subject: License/Tax
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- GHAYHOE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 02:29:55 -0500

I suspect that most US cities require businesses to purchase an
annual business license and pay tax on their gross receipts.
Some cities require businesses to pay taxes on their equipment,
furnishings, and inventory as well.

Businesses in most US cities are also subject to inspection for
compliance to laws such as fire codes and zoning regulations,
though I suspect most municipalities don't have the staff to
inspect sole proprietorships that operate out of homes.

BTW, the only time my office has been inspected, it was not by a
government entity but by the bankcard clearinghouse. I had
applied for a MasterCard and Visa merchant account. They sent a
representative to take photos of my office to be certain I was
operating a legitimate business, not some . . . well, you know!

--George Hayhoe (george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: +1 803-642-2156
Fax: +1 803-642-9325
Award-winning Web site: http://www.ghayhoe.com