Re: "Granny" instructions

Subject: Re: "Granny" instructions
From: Ann Mackenzie <AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:47:55 -0500

In a message dated 97-11-14 07:09:07 EST, Krista writes:

<< I was asked to produce some idiot-proof instructions for procedures
that I thought were already documented fairly comprehensively.

<<I find that I'm not very confident about how much to include.
<snip>
<<I'm concerned that the procedures will be much too long. I really
dislike seeing 20- or 30-step procedures.

<<An influencing factor is that the users are not native English speakers
...<<

I think, Krista, that non-native readers will be comforted by numbered
procedures, even if they are 20 or 30 steps, because they will believe
they have completed the task and not assumed or excepted anything.
Another process that will help is to break each step logically, that is, do
not include more than one discrete action in a step.

<<they even asked me to spell out all abbreviations and acronyms, even
though abbreviations are used in the menus and windows. (This does
not strike me as a simplification, but it indicates that they want
everything down to the nth detail.)<<

You might suggest that abbreviations and acronyms be covered in a
glossary-type list in the back. Using the menu and window text _exactly
as it appears_ will help your readers follow your procedures.

Another item to explore: are your readers familiar with American, British,
Canadian or Australian English? This may affect their understanding.

Hope these ideas help Ann

Ann Mackenzie: AnnMacknz -at- aol -dot- com
TekDoc - Technical Documentation, Inc. in Milwaukee, WI, USA
specializing in policies & procedures and software & engineering writing

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!