Re: "Granny" instructions again

Subject: Re: "Granny" instructions again
From: DURL <durl -at- BUFFNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:12:02 -0500

I hope you're getting paid by the hour!!!

I think I'd start to think about categorizing the info, and then
matching a format style to the category of information.
For example, use a number to identify a sequential step.
Use a symbol of some kind to show anticipated result
Use another symbol or format to indicate what to do if the
anticipated result doesn't show.
Use bold for Drop Dead Important information
Use a box for explanatory information.

What you're doing, ideally, is a sort of classical conditioning,
where your
user learns to assoociate a certain category of info with a particular
look. It can help the user locate the info that meets his particular
needs.
I'm including a sort of example. Pls bear in mind, of course, that
you'll have to figure out what categories work for your document...I'm
guessing here.

1. Do this
+++ Check that X occurs
+++ Check that Y occurs
[If y doesn't occur, then]

IT'S VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO THIS.

The trick will be to not develop too many categories. You might
want to look at textbooks and instructional info for ideas.

Good luck,
mary

Mary Durlak Erie Documentation Inc.
East Aurora, New York (near Buffalo)