Re: Request help with traffic terminology

Subject: Re: Request help with traffic terminology
From: Smokey Lynne L Bare <slbare -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 23:38:02 -0500

[posted and emailed]

In article <01bcecbb$cbc29de0$19c774c0 -at- rjaffe>, rjaffe -at- inter -dot- net -dot- il (RJ)
wrote:
>Could someone help me with the correct terms in American

>Driving in the breakdown lane

This is when someone drives on the berm (shoulder) in order to pass the
right (Roadway Lane) lane of traffic - usually at a standstill. If you
are going to an exit ramp up ahead on the right, people sometimes drive
on the berm until they get to the ramp, again, if the right lane is at a
standstill. I was introduced to this practice in Mass. while showing
horses there, and had someone go parallel several miles with me on the
berm. They also drive on the left berm (lane on the left - Monford
Lane). The left berm driving is illegal, and of course the right berm
driving is illegal, but seen more, and less penalized by law enforcement
in some circumstances. The proper names of the lanes come from the truck
lines who drive them.

Roadway trucks have governors (speed control sets) on their engines which
do not allow them to go above the speed (in some states). Monford runs
livestock and meat, and fly through states. Unofficially, of course, up
front state taxes were paid by traffic managers rep'ing these guys (so I
am told by the truckers on the CB).

Smokey