Re: Idiot Audience

Subject: Re: Idiot Audience
From: "Pritchard,Laurie N" <Laurie_Pritchard -at- MC -dot- XEROX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:41:50 PST

Mary Durlak wrote:

>> If you "talk down" to your audience, it's likely that you'll lose
them because they'll make the fairly logical leap that, if you don't know
who you're talking *to,* you also don't know what you're talking *about.* <<

This is an excellent point. I've helped train absolute computer
novices, and one thing they do not want is to be treated like
children. I've found that in writing for novices, it's easy to fall
into the trap of writing in a patronizing tone, which is an insult to
most adult readers.