toolbar vs. menu

Subject: toolbar vs. menu
From: "Jorgensen, Nancy (MS Mail)" <njorgens -at- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 12:51:53 -0800

Also beware of your users' ability to customize the toolbar. If your
app allows users to add and remove buttons, or to reassign icons to
existing buttons, they could easily get the toolbar out of synch with
your documentation.

In my procedures, I always use the menu commands for this reason. As
for documenting the toolbar buttons, my help systems usually provide a
help topic that gives a brief UI overview--in this type of topic I
always put a table that includes the toolbar icon, what each toolbar
button is called, and what functionality if provides.

Actually, I think that most users rely on tool tips to figure out what
the buttons are for and skip reading help unless the button does not
work in the way they think it should when they go to use it...

--Nancy J

Nancy Jorgensen
Senior Technical Writer
ARPEGGIO products