Re: Numbered list vs bulleted list

Subject: Re: Numbered list vs bulleted list
From: "Hillary M. Russak" <hrussak -at- SLAC -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:11:01 -0800

Hey Don,

Cooool... you're one of my counterparts at another DOE high energy physics
lab! I'm a Tech. Writer at SLAC (in ES&H). One of my closest friends is
now a physicist at Argonne (Stanford grad). Just in case you run into
him... John Lewellen, a very cool dude (and fellow motorcyclist).

Now... the topic at hand:
When I write steps which must occur in sequence, I use a numbered list. I
can't think of an instance where "not an issue" fits into this simple
standard. I think readers have come to see numbered lists as a cue that
the listed items have a specific order. Not only is this often a guideline
in style manuals, but it's common sense and a way we support reader
comprehension.

Just incase the mighty words of Hillary Russak are not enough to sway your
editor:
The Microsoft Manual of Style states (on page 125), "Numbered Lists: Use a
numbered list for procedure or sequential lists"; and (on page 184), "Set
individual steps as separate, numbered entries".

Read Me First: A Style Guide for the Computer Industry states (on page
118), "You can use unnumbered lists when the entries are not dependent upon
the sequence in which you present them...When the entries are dependent
upon sequence, use numerals and letters to build the hierarchy."

You have my support in taking this up with your editor.
-hil

At 08:34 AM 11/19/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've just returned from the archive with very little success. Here's
>the scenario.
>
>The author (programmer) wrote a software installation and user guide
>for a DOS program (not a commercial software). Action steps are in
>bullet lists; each bullet has been replaced with a graphic pointing
>hand (side view).
>
>The editor had to leave the project for several days (business trip)
>and I am filling in because of the project deadline. I contend that
>any list of action steps be numbered if those steps must be performed
>sequentially. The DOE Standard Writer's Guide for Technical
>Procedures states the following, "Action step numbering identifies
>individual action steps and their sequence."
>
>The editor contends that this item is not an issue. The bullet list
>is fine because that method is used in many software docs. What say
>you? Also, have I answered my own question?
>
>Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov
>Sr. Technical Writer
>Argonne National Laboratory
>Argonne, IL
>
>PS Argonne Nat'l Lab is a contractor to the Department of Energy.

>Commands: mailto:listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g. SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
>Archives: http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html,
>Subjects: JOB:, QUESTION:, SUMMARY:, ANNOUNCE:, or none of these.

Hillary M. Russak
Technical Writer
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
Hazardous and Radioactive Waste Management
hrussak -at- slac -dot- stanford -dot- edu