Re: TOOLS: Problems with Word/WordPerfect?

Subject: Re: TOOLS: Problems with Word/WordPerfect?
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 06:43:51 -0500

At 02:39 PM 11/20/97 -0700, SARAH SCHLOSSER <SARAH -at- PERFNET -dot- COM> wrote:
>Geoff,
>Will you be duplexing or binding your documents? Will you be using page
>numbers in the corners?
>MSWord does not allow for this, so if you use a wider binding margin or
>numbers in the corner, they will both be on the wrong side of the page
>for every other page. I believe WordPerfect supports duplexing.

Of course Word allows for these! Set up gutter margins, and create
different odd/even/first pages. Stick your page number field wherever you
want it.

I regularly use Word 7 for VERY large, complex documents: 1000+ pages,
containing thousands of equations, embedded and linked graphics, tables,
numbered captions, index entries, and cross-references. If anybody is
interested in seeing how, check out

http://www.wordinfo.com/how_to/nomaster.htm

You know, I don't mind when someone like Geoff posts a request to the list
asking for opinions on strengths/weaknesses of software applications. What
I do mind is someone bad-mouthing a product without having their facts straight.

Can Word corrupt files and documents? Sure, but so can WordPerfect. If you
recognize Word's file size limitations, and plan around them, you can avoid
most of those kinds of problems. On the other hand, WordPerfect regularly
corrupted even tiny files for me, leaving me with an unrecoverable mess
hours before I was supposed to print camera-ready copy.

Geoff, I vote for Word, especially since you already use it to develop your
online help. It can certainly handle everything you said you need, and
you're already familiar with it.

Win
Win Day
Freelance Technical Writer/Editor