Re: Boolean or boolean

Subject: Re: Boolean or boolean
From: Joe Miller <joemiller -at- CANBERRA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:00:23 -0500

>Although words derived from people's names are generally capitalized,
>that's not always true, especially when they receive heavy usage. Examples:
>volt, ampere, newton.

According to ANSI/IEEE/ASTM SI 10-97 (formerly ANSI/IEEE Std 268-1992),
the rule for captializing unit names is:

3.5.2 Rules for Writing Names
(1) Spelled out unit names are treated as common nouns in English. Thus, the
first letter of a unit name is not capitalized except at the beginning of a
sentence....

Though Boolean is a proper name, it isn't a unit of measure, so volt, ampere and
newton, though also named after historic people, aren't in the same class as
Boolean.

>...the best advice is: pick one and be consistent.

Though I disagree with your argument for lowercasing Boolean, here we agree:
Consistency is the key.

--Joe
joemiller -at- canberra -dot- com