Re: Questions re: previous salary

Subject: Re: Questions re: previous salary
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 22:23:50 -0500

JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM wrote:

> In a message dated 97-11-21 14:52:47 EST, John writes:
>
> << To me, it's worth the agency's cut to find a job by sending out a
> load of resumes by email and waiting for the calls. >>
>
> As tends to happen here, we've wandered 15 degrees or so from the original
> point.

It alsways does (g)

> The question was not about using an agency, giving a rate range or (the
> already much discussed) percentage an agency should get. It was about
> revealing *specific* rate or salary ranges on *previous* jobs.

I think that in one of the messages along this thread, I admitted that I
won't give the specific rate for a specific assignment. The way I
handle it is to say my rates were between X and Y for the last 4
assignments. This doesn't give anything specific for a particular
assignment, but lets them know my rates for my assignments.

> For an agency you're already willing to work with to ask you for a rate range
> is of course entirely reasonable. For them to demand certain specifics of
> the last project(s) you've worked on is less so, to the degree that:

I've never dealt with an agency that "demanded" anything, which is why
I've never had to tell an agency "Later, dude"

> - they're gathering competitive information for their own purposes
> - they're using you as a source of contact info
> - they're trying to get rate information they would be unwilling on their
> side to supply
>
> You may not mind supplying some or all of the above, but you should be aware
> that that's what they're doing, that they ask some questions because they can

Well, that's a no-brainer. Of course they are trying to get competitive
information and there is nothing wrong with asking, it is the answering
that may be inappropriate. My approach is that they can "try" for
anything they want, I'm just not going to give any specific information
about a previous agency and when an agency that I wanted to work with
attempts to get what I didn't want to give, I just tell them that "it's
not somethig I want to discuss just like I wouldn't discuss your
information with others...I'm sure you can understand that, right?" It
is very hard for them to push it from that point forward.

> Nobody by the way has addressed the far thornier issue of revealing previous
> *salaries* when changing jobs. Rugged individualist that I am, even I don't
> see any way (besides lying) around that.

I'm sorry, either I don't see the difference or I don't understand the
question. What does it matter whether you are discussing salaries or
hourly rates. One is for an hour and one is for a week. No other
difference....no?

This whole thread has revolved about giving information that you are
uncomfortable giving. You don't have to admit anything, especially if
it isn't going to make you a better candidate for the position being
discussed. Past employment rates are only to be used for positing in
the next assignment. They are not to describe individual details about
past assignments for competitive reasons. Simply don't do anything or
say anything you are uncomforable doing or saying. A reputable agency
or employer will respect that and the ones that don't it doesn't matter
because you are not going to continue doing business with them.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global

HEY! Are you coming to the NJ TechWriter lunch? So far, about 10 of us
are.
Ask me about it.