Re: Are recruiters really listening?

Subject: Re: Are recruiters really listening?
From: Wendy Putman <wputman -at- CASTLETON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 08:45:40 -0800

>recruiting firms are more interested in slamming a technical
writer into
>any available slot than they are in making sure there=92s a
good fit
>between contractor and prospective client.

The Rocky Mountain chapter of the STC developed a wonderful
brochure called "How to Hire the Best Technical Communicator." (The
Canada West Coast chapter adapted it--with permission--for our own use.)
It addresses some of the dilemmas you're grappling with: conceptual vs.
application skills, types of work done by technical communicators, etc.
I hand the brochures out to recruiters, HR departments, engineers who
hire. It doesn't guarantee change, but does give you some common
vocabulary and a starting point from which to negotiate tasks.

Wendy Putman, Technical Writer
Castleton Network Systems, Burnaby, BC
Tel: (604) 293-0039 / Internal: 722-5432