QUESTION: help with a term?

Subject: QUESTION: help with a term?
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:00:02 -0500

It's clearly Monday and my brain doesn't seem to be working properly -- I'm
trying to figure out what to call something and my mind draws a blank. I'm
documenting a piece of data entry software that uses this little icon to
keep track of how much work the user has left to do -- it's a sort of
wedge-shaped thing that sits over on the right side of the window, and the
more work there is, the bigger the wedge. You know, kind of like those
game shows where the host stands there with his right arm parallel to the
ground, and the more the audience claps (or laughs, or whatever), the more
he pivots his arm upward? Or like any circular gauge type thing.

I'm not even sure I've described it clearly, but I swear there's a term for
this kind of thing. If anyone knows it, I'll be deeply grateful.

Marie

Marie C. Paretti
Department of English Recognition Research, Inc.
University of Wisconsin - Madison Blacksburg, Virginia
mparetti -at- facstaff -dot- wisc -dot- edu mparetti -at- rrinc -dot- com

Sometimes I feel like a dog
standin' on a tool box
in the back of a pickup truck
doin' 90 round a corner